Re: [AD] demo of new timer API (unix only)

Chris wrote:

As you said, pthreads is available for both Unix and Windows, so if a program needs cross-platform threading, they can go with pthreads and require the pthreads Windows port for Windows. I just feel providing a threading API will just be re-inventing the wheel.

[snip]

However, an interesting idea would be if Allegro were to make its own pthreads implementation for platforms that don't currently have it (Windows) and just call that Allegro's thread API, I'd be alright with that. Actually, I'd quite like that idea.

Chris, have a read of those two paragraphs again :-)

Anyway, we're not going to reimplement pthreads: (i) it's been done, most probably by much more competent people than any of us; and (ii) it's a hell of a lot of work to get exactly right.

Peter