Re: [AD] proposed patch for nicer asm symbols exports

>    I am not sure I understand your question. If you are suggesting
> that one executable may affect the other, this is simply not possible,
> shared objects only share code.

Is it not the case that the text segment of a shared library can't contain
any (dynamic) relocation in order to be sharable?  Do you think

   movl %eax, my_global

can be resolved at static link time in a shared object?  So is there not a
contradiction?

> It's better if it's PIC code, because the dynamic loader has fewer
> relocations to do, but on x86 it's not mandatory.

Why on Earth are all shared libraries compiled with -fPIC on x86 then?
Contrary to what happens for RISC cpus,  -fPIC is really a performance
killer on x86 because it steals 1 register out of 6 and prevents direct
addressing from being used.

--
Eric Botcazou