Re: [AD] rest and yield_timeslice

Elias Pschernig wrote:
Old tutorials, like gfoot's Allegro Vivace, don't even works with
Allegro 4.0.0 anymore. So that's no argument. We'd still be maintaining
the Allegro 1.0 API.

How doesn't that tutorial work anymore? And why do you think functions like fsqrt, fhypot, etc, are still defined by Allegro despite clashing with libc? Allegro's always prided itself on full API backwards compatibility. If you're going to break the API, you do it once.

And break practically every Allegro program in existance?

No. They will compile perfectly fine with Allegro 4.0.x.

Compile? Maybe.. IIRC, RGB uses signed chars. But still work? Definately not.

> But yes, I'm
not sure what should be the version for the cleaned up API. All the
functions marked as deprecated in 4.1.x are meant to go away eventually,
and since they are now deprecated for years, I think it is time to
remove them.

I remember being told that they weren't depricated because they were going to be removed.. they were depricated because they were inferior with no support, past bug fixing.

> I remember, when we wanted to prefix all the API some time
ago, and had the compromise to make 4.0.x not prefixed, but release a
perfixed 4.2.0 with a cleaned up API almost at the same time. It never
happed - but I still think it is most important to break compatibility
at one point - and 4.2.0 looks like a good point to me.

4.2 is way too early. As I said in this email, which is what Shawn has said.. if you're going to break the API, do it once. If you continually break the API, nobody's going to stick with it. 4.2 is way to close for that. We don't have much to change other than removing a few function names.. and I hardly think that's worth an API break.

- Kitty Cat