Re: [AD] rest and yield_timeslice

> No, the reason to keep the "unnecessary" functions is so older Allegro
> programs will still compile properly and without problems with newer
> library versions (save a few deprication warnings). IMO, this is very
> important for new Allegro users who find, or like looking for, old
> source code.

Old tutorials, like gfoot's Allegro Vivace, don't even works with
Allegro 4.0.0 anymore. So that's no argument. We'd still be maintaining
the Allegro 1.0 API.

> > And I'd even go as far as fixing things like the 0..63 value
> > range for RGB in 4.2.0.
>
> And break practically every Allegro program in existance?

No. They will compile perfectly fine with Allegro 4.0.x. But yes, I'm
not sure what should be the version for the cleaned up API. All the
functions marked as deprecated in 4.1.x are meant to go away eventually,
and since they are now deprecated for years, I think it is time to
remove them. I remember, when we wanted to prefix all the API some time
ago, and had the compromise to make 4.0.x not prefixed, but release a
perfixed 4.2.0 with a cleaned up API almost at the same time. It never
happed - but I still think it is most important to break compatibility
at one point - and 4.2.0 looks like a good point to me.

--
Elias Pschernig