Re: [AD] rest and yield_timeslice

On Monday 19 July 2004 17:24, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> Not sure, I seem to remember there's some problems with it, as it was
> written for Allegro 3.12.

In that case, it won't have END_OF_MAIN() and it will lack some
platform-independent information.
But I think I saw a more recent version not too long ago... dealing with
one of the 3.9 series, I think.

> Not sure. 4.0.0 was released a long time ago.

Yeah... when I looked through the changelogs for the WIP releases, I saw
that 4.1.0 is two years old almost to the day.

> Back then, we thought we'd
> have 4.2.x follow quite soon, and also thought Allegro 5 would come
> along quickly at the same time. Now, it doesn't look like Allegro will
> go anywhere soon, even 4.2.x might well need some time to be released.

4.0 doesn't have native MacOS X support, which I think is something we want
to have in a stable version of Allegro very soon (we're overdate already
IMO).
So I'd propose to release 4.2 relatively soon now, provided we can get the
momentum going to actually resolve some of the big issues 4.0 suffers
from.

> So it could be the point where we break compatibility. There will be no
> really big changes, just prefixing, and cleaning up the most obvious
> shortcomings.

Prefixing could indeed be a good thing to do for 4.2 - although it may make
the transition period harder.
We could provide a compatibility header that maps set_gfx_mode() to
al_set_gfx_mode() though...

Evert