Re: [AD] responsiveness patches results

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 04:51 -0500, allegrovp@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've tried three patches, two from Elias and one from Chris.
> Both patches from Elias did not make visible difference (I used the
> grabber, clicking on the menus to make them appear, and out of them to
> make them go away). Still lags, though the actual delay you have to
> hold the mouse buttons varies.
> I lied in a previous email: stock Allegro 4.1.14 needs mouse held for
> about a quarter of a second, sometimes more, not up to a second :)
> Still means that most "normal" clicks are lost though.

So the problem you are seeing must be something else (in expal it still
should get noticeable though). Does the threads version actually work
without lag? Oh, and, were you trying recent CVS? That would mean that
at least for you (the maybe only user of the signals version :) it keeps
working despite the crashes me and Evert get.. so that's actually a good
thing, also it looks like some race condition :(

> Chris' patch freezes grabber, it doesn't even refresh once (black
> screen). I haven't tried Chris' new one though, I'll try that one
> tonight.

It's only a naming change compares to my latest, and includes also a
change to the "X11 vsync emulation".

> To make doubly sure, I reverted my SIGALRM/SIGVTARLM patch, and it still lags.

Maybe we could make that a configure option? Hm, or no.

> Anyway. I'm using an old OS, old X, old libc, and old binutils. The
> profiling trouble I get with the threaded allegro might very well go
> away with an update of those things, since other people have reported
> that profiling works for them with the threaded allegro. So maybe it's
> not so big a deal, especially since it's only in X (though I
> understand most people always use X all the time nowadays).
> I mean, if I'm the only one to have that problem...

Not sure, we don't have a way to receive lots of end-user input :) I'm
the most concerned right now about the crashes I get with the signals
version..

--
Elias Pschernig