Re: [AD] x color conversion again (w/ responsiveness patch)

Elias Pschernig wrote:
Thanks. I'll be going to apply this (sans the vsync chage, which can be
discussed later). But we should wait until after we clarify the signals
version crashes. Right now I see that it works without the color
conversion for 8-bit for me, but that might just be some side effect
hiding the real problem. Only if it turns out that 4.1.14 signals work
for everyone, we'll have to check the changes since then.

Okay, I tested out the signals version, using my CVS checkout, and here's what I experienced. First, I compiled and installed only the debug lib, and built debug programs. expal worked fine with no noticeable lag in quitting or artifacting. The demo worked fine until after the opening FLI, when it completely froze up on a black screen. I had to ctrl+alt+f1 and kill the process, at which point I found this on my console:
-
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x34e)!
Aborted
-
I removed the _xwin_handle_input_nolock call (effectively undoing the patch), modified the demo to start up with a windowed mode, and recompiled. This time the demo ran, but using Dirty Rectangles had a horrendous amount of graphical droppings.. things not overdrawn correctly. Then I reinstated the _xwin_handle_input_nolock call, and ran the demo through gdb. It ran, but ingame had the same graphical droppings as before.

I have a feeling it's dying in a signal, which would explain the bad backtrace. What I think may be happening is a function XLOCKs the screen, but during which the bg manager signal fires, the input handler sees the XLOCK and quits. Then when the previous function XUNLOCKs, it sees the waiting input handler call, calls it and hits an xlib async error. Though that wouldn't quite explain why the FLI plays perfectly fine... perhaps it has to do with the mouse pointer redrawing in a timer signal, and it's dying in that?

- Kitty Cat