Re: [AD] Prefixing

Elias Pschernig wrote:
If we decide that Allegro is more or less in its final state, and we
don't expect it to live on much longer, then I'd agree, we could just
say we don't want prefixing and cleaning of the API. But if we want it
to be developed in the future, I think it is absolutely necessary to get
away from the old DOS 320x200-mode API and clean it up gradually during
4.1.x. There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use 4.0.x. 4.0.4
shouldn't have any major bugs anymore I think.

With one exception.. 4.1.x already has numerous improvements over 4.0 that many people are waiting for. As I mention in the last email, there's no reason this has to be a one-shot deal. We can start it now with al_rest, and perhaps by the time 4.2 comes out we'll have maybe 1-5% of the API fixed with some old functions in oldapi.h (and I mean fixed.. eg. redesigned). Then perhaps by the time 4.4 comes out, we'll have half of it done. It's going to take a long time to work out a better and cleaner API, and I highly doubt it could be done (and I would actively disourage doing it in) a single version branch.

But given the agreed on
naming scheme, it should be 4.2.0, since there's no major changes, just
prefixing and minor API cleaning.

If we're going to do this it should be more than just prefixing and minor cleaning. It should be a major overhaul. We're not going to be able to do this again, so let's take our time and do it right.

- Kitty Cat