Re: [AD] Prefixing (was: rest and yield_timeslice)

> Yep, I think we should have a backwards-compatibility file, which
> defines all the old symbols to new ones. It should be included with
> Allegro 4.2, but not be enabled by default.

#define ALLEGRO_USE_OLD_API
#include <allegro.h>

and then in allegro.h

#ifdef ALLEGRO_USE_OLD_API
#include <allegro/oldapi.h>
#endif

?

I think that would work nicely. It's also easy to recompile old sources this
way, just by definig a symbol in the compiler. This needs to be in big bold red
flashing letters in the manual though.

> Would putting it as include/allegro/oldapi.h sound like a good idea? For
> now, it would only contain the old rest. For the 4.2 release, it will
> contain all the functions, with the prefix #defined away, as well as all
> deprecated material.

I'm all for doing this for 4.2, but I don't think it should go into WIP 4.1.15
just for rest(). IMO, this is something to start doing after the upcoming WIP
release.
This will also set a clear goal for the 4.1.16 WIP: present a prefixed API in
preparation for the final 4.2 release.

I'm curious what others (Eric, Peter) think about this.

Evert