Re: [AD] Prefixing

guilt wrote:
We can handle it the way DirectInput does :) It will be useful to the
user if he could have a method for setting keyboard buffers. The
dinput methods allow u to pass a 256 byte buffer and retreive the key
scancodes in them. Why not have such a thing in allegro itself? It
doesn't look robust to me when we have access to pointers such as in
screen, desktop_palette, font or key. (Then, logically, it must have
also been possible to directly writ to the sound device, right?)

So please consider the more robust, but less faster alternatives.

I don't mind access to the global pointers. IMO, using functions like get_key_array are rather inefficient for low-level programming. The key array, the screen bitmap, etc, are designed to hold real-time data.. showing the state of the device at any given moment in time. Polling goes counter-intuitive to this, and IMHO, should be avoided unless there's no other choice. Allegro has been, and should continue to be, designed to give the programmer low-level access.. as low-level as possible given the OS, anyway. If the programmer wants to implement a polling scheme on top of this, then great. But it shouldn't be Allegro's job to do it.

- Kitty CAt