Re: [AD] Sound API

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 21:30, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > Most users will naturally reach for the volume control on their speakers,
> > which obviously won't solve the problem. The game developer has to take
> > some responsibility; if someone sets a ridiculously high value with
> > set_volume_per_voice(), that's their fault. We can't be removing a much
> > used, and very useful IMO, feature just to try to save the game developer a
> > bit of responsibility.
>
> Much used? By whom? (I hope I got the usage right) And why? Just to override
> the obviously wrong default 1/4 volume level?

Well, I'm using it in almost all my programs. To be honest, the reason
is the low default volume.  But I completely agree with Ben after
thinking about it.

Imagine a game where lots of sounds can happen at the same time. So you
carefully adjust the set_volume_per_voice level so the level of clipping
stays at a reasonable amount. E.g. you set it so when you shoot in a 3d
shooter, and at the same time someone else shoots, and there's a
background noise - there should be no clipping. If there are 10 shots at
once, there will be clipping.

The users still have a lot of possibilities to adjust the volume: The
speaker knobs, the main mixer control, the PCM volume controls, and (I
think) also Allegro's global volume.

If the user would be allowed to mess with the per-volume-levels (or
there would be none), they would turn the volume up to the maximum
(ignoring all the other mixer possibilities, which would be set to
almost not audible) and then complain alot about the bad sound quality
of your game, clipping and distorting everything. So if I understood it
right, set_volume_per_voice gives control to the developer which really
is needed.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>