Re: [AD] Sound API

On Monday 17 May 2004 20:30, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Most users will naturally reach for the volume control on their speakers,
> > which obviously won't solve the problem. The game developer has to take
> > some responsibility; if someone sets a ridiculously high value with
> > set_volume_per_voice(), that's their fault. We can't be removing a much
> > used, and very useful IMO, feature just to try to save the game developer
> > a bit of responsibility.
>
> Much used? By whom? (I hope I got the usage right) And why? Just to
> override the obviously wrong default 1/4 volume level?

By me. (You got the usage right.)

DUMB's example programs set it to 0.
My sekrit projact sets it to 1.
Balls sets it to 0.
Rock 'n' Spin 3D sets it to 2.

These all have source released (except the sekrit projact which will include
source when it's released). I do not wish to have to change them all just
because someone decided Allegro didn't have to be backwards compatible any
more.

> IMO each voice should dynamically get whatever volume it can get. none of
> this set_volume_per stuff. Have two voices? Have 10 voices? They get as
> much as they can without sounding like crap :)

Are you talking about dynamic adjustment? Try it. I dare you. :P  It will
sound wrong.

Ben