Re: [AD] Sound system

Robert Jr Ohannessian wrote:
Yes, it's what I meant. But since we wanted to release 4.2 "soon", then I figured that there will probably be just one more WIP before the final release. Thus, 4.3 is a better target for those mixer patches.

Well, I'd like to do the mixer patch at the same time as dropping the DX mixer. The only thing the DX mixer did that I liked was it didn't reduce the voice volume because of how many voices may play simultaniously. Allegro's sound always comes out very quiet, especially when using DIGMID. If both the mixer patch being applied and the DX mixer being dropped happen in 4.1.15, I don't forsee any reason for 4.1.16 to not be the last WIP in regards to it (unless something drasticly bad happens, but I don't see a reason it will, especially with the testing my mixer patch has gotten already). And depending on how long 4.1.15 stays "current" we might not even need 4.1.16.

All I need is word from the devs on what I can or can't do with the low quality Allegro mixer. Once I'm told, I can release the final mixer patch (final in regards to 4.2, barring unforseen problems). The last patch I sent for wdsndmix.c took care of dropping the DX mixer (with the exception it doesn't empty out/remove wdsound.c automatically, nor did it do anything to the unofficially exposed DIGI_DIRECTAMX() macro; but those should be easilly taken care of by anyone with write access to the CVS repository). So.. the changes I need to do are done, and have already gotten limited testing with positive results (maybe the wdsndmix patch hasn't though.. but in actuality dropping the DX mixer will be the easier of the two since the DX mixer has to be 100% compatible with the AMX mixer).

- Kitty Cat