Re: [AD] Allegro's mixer, update

Elias Pschernig wrote:
Well, by changing it in the middle of a file like you did, it is no
longer readable. For a complete new file, it's acceptable I guess - but
still, I like more a consistent code style with the old formatting, than
not consistant at all.

<snip long-winded tangent that ended up being summed up here>

Basically what I've been suggesting (in way too many words x.x sorry): don't use real tabs to replace spaces. Run a filter running through Allegro's current code, converting 1 tab to 8 spaces, and let people use whatever they want to indent (spaces, tabs, whatever), as long as it's consistant. Then if you wanted, you could just do a simple search and replace and the code is automatically indented consistantly. Though yes, that would mean the entire file would most likely need to be indented the same, I completely agree with that.

For everyone viewing Allegro code, tab-size must be 8 spaces
currently. Any other width makes it unreadable.

I can see this point. It's just a PITA to keep switching to 8 just for Allegro, and then back, when I can't simply change a number and hit enter. Then I need to worry about if that blank space of 8 is actually a tab or 8 real spaces. Making tabsizes irrelevant would be the best way to go, IMO.

Some things like
comments or aligned things will still look out of place with the wrong
tab-size of course.

Only if you added extra tabs just for comments (which would make tabsize relevant.. a Bad Thing). Given code like this:
<indent*whatever>/* Comment
<indent*whatever> * Comment
<indent*wahtever> */
<indent*whatever>code();
It wouldn't matter what you indented with or how much you've indented. As long as the indentation is consistant, it'll be perfectly aligned.

- Kitty Cat