Re: [AD] Allegro's mixer, update

Ben Davis wrote:
On Tuesday 13 April 2004 23:04, Chris wrote:

Those numbers are pretty encouraging in that the low quality mixer is
obsolete, though. I'll run the test program myself, but if it holds
true, I would like to remove the low quality mixer (and change the mono
mixer to use the same algo as hq1, obviously I wouldn't remove that).

I would suggest leaving it in, since many people relish the retro sound of non-interpolating mixers. I would also very much like to be able to control the mixing quality without hacking the config file (is that possible yet?).

As you noticed, the hq1 mixer is still non-interpolating. :) And if you want the retro sound of 8-bit mixing, you can either set 8-bit output, or just supply 8-bit samples. The only difference between the low quality and hq1 mixer is volume precision (of which, hq1 is, quite literaly, 65504x more precise and, it seems, is just as fast as low quality).

a simple fix would be to reserve
1 DX voice to play Allegro's mixer on.

I'm guessing that's what the DIGI_DIRECTAMX(n) mixer does.

Yep, except that doesn't allocate anymore DX voices and just passes all voice requests to Allegro.

- Kitty Cat