Re: [AD] Indentation

Karthik Kumar V wrote:
So why not make it easier, by applying indent, with profiles? Whomsoever chooses the style he/she is most convenient with, can customize the
source to their preferences.

Because then Allegro will, especially if the differences become severe, look more and more like a big hack-together job. It wouldn't be too big of an issue if the differences were minor, but since they most likely would be, anyone editing more than one source file would run into a lot of trouble. That said, I don't have a problem with 3 char indents.. that's at least readable, writeable, and recognizeable. But adding on top of that, that 8 spaces must equal 1 tab (which isn't even fully followed within Allegro itself), just throws everything out of proportion for anyone not expecting it.

BTW It makes sense to keep tabs for most indenting, than spaces. This is because, the tab sizes can be specified later, and converted into spaces, later, according to what people prefer. I'm sure many people may not agree with me, but I feel that it makes things easier while coverting it later to spaces. (Even sed can do the conversion part!!)

I fully agree with that. Tabs are better suited for indenting, not spacing. You know, I'd like to see an editor that can make tab sizes per-pixel instead of per-character (with ASCII text).

- Kitty Cat