Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

On 2 Mar 2004 at 22:49, Omar Cornut wrote:
> That would be useful for the average user (PCX is quite outdated
> now, but it is the only format of the 3 with a fair compression
> ratio for paletted images. GIF would suit better).

Actually, by that argument, I'd much rather see PNG support from Allegro
than GIF.  PNG provides as good compression as GIF (sometimes a lil more,
sometimes a lil less), but PNG supports bit depths other than 8 bit, and
PNG supports alpha channels.  It is as good as TGA in expressive power and
is decently supported across editors, and it provides good compression.

I don't see any reason to use GIF over PNG myself, and as such, were I to
recommend the addition of any new image loading code into Allegro, I'd
recommend PNG over GIF.

Of course, both should be supported via add-ons.  I'm only talking about
support directly in Allegro.

Jason Winnebeck
Gillius's Programming
http://www.rit.edu/~jpw9607/