Re: [AD] 4.1.11 SMP bug

Dan wrote:

> I'm running into a bug in allegro 4.1.11 which only occurs when I'm
> booted in SMP mode. (booting with one cpu disabled causes the bug to
> disappear)  The bug shows up in the gui of fakenes 0.3.0, and the
> example program ex3d that comes with allegro.   When using the gui in
> fakenes, or ex3d's graphics mode selection, simply moving the cursor
> around enough over the various gui elements repeatedly causes the
> application to exit with the message "Killed".  After selecting the
> graphics mode and ex3d is running everything is fine, fakenes is also
> fine if I don't use the gui.  If there's any other info you'd like me to
> send, please ask and I'll be happy to help. -Dan

Your timing is incredible: I just found a similar problem on my system
at work here, minutes before reading your mail. The grabber crashes if
I move the mouse around over the gui elements, or if the window gets
the focus after it starts. I either get

Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11

or

Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

depending on the phase of the moon, I think. This never happened
before on this system, and the only change I can see is that it was
recently given a second CPU and an SMP kernel.

allegro-4.0.3      (used to work perfectly, afaik)
gcc-3.3
linux 2.4.9-13smp  (redhat 7.2 with smp support).
Dual Intel Xeon 1700MHz

No, I cannot try a newer kernel (wish I could, work machine I do not
have root access to). Apparently Dan has the same problem with 4.1.11,
so maybe this is an older problem and not just something in the WIP
version. I'm busy here at work, but if people have a concrete list of
tests I can do for more information I'll be happy to comply beginning
of next week.

Hein Zelle

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein