Re: [AD] 4.1.11 SMP bug

> I'm running into a bug in allegro 4.1.11 which only occurs when I'm
> booted in SMP mode. (booting with one cpu disabled causes the bug to
> disappear)  The bug shows up in the gui of fakenes 0.3.0, and the
> example program ex3d that comes with allegro.   When using the gui in
> fakenes, or ex3d's graphics mode selection, simply moving the cursor
> around enough over the various gui elements repeatedly causes the
> application to exit with the message "Killed".  After selecting the
> graphics mode and ex3d is running everything is fine, fakenes is also
> fine if I don't use the gui.

Well-known problem (#1 on the todo list): basically Allegro is not (yet)
thread-safe and this was recently further exposed by a change in the GUI
engine. You can probably work around it by configuring Allegro with
--disable-pthreads.

I already made an attempt at solving it, but it was too gross and resulted in
deadlocks for the Unix port (you can experiment by changing the FIXME'd
#undef to a #define in include/allegro/platform/alucfg.h and recompiling).

I guess that it is now time to really tackle it.

--
Eric Botcazou