Re: [AD] MIDI player missing sustain

On June 15, 2003 02:54 pm, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 00:17, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > :o so now that my card with midi on it its borked... :( for some reason
>
> the
>
> > ALSA9 drivers refuse to work correctly with my SBLive! Value. I've even
> > talked to the ALSA devs but, I guess its a problem with my card, even
>
> though
>
> > it was fine with ALSA5.
>
> Curious. I have the same card with the same Alsa version and midi output
> seems to work fine, at least from noteedit, which is about the only
> program that uses midi I ever use (obviously Allegro programs using midi
> do not work). I think I had to tweak some options though...

Even the rawmidi demo in alsa-lib (in 0.9.*) started sucking CPU like nothing.
The alsa 0.5.* driver I wrote for allegro worked fine, yet the 0.9.x one
doesnt.. so something changed in the drivers.. But the ALSA devs seem to be
ignoring me now.

> > Maybe I'll cheat and tie timidity to a rawmidi port
> > ;) and use that instead.. but the timidity patches suck so bad, at least
> > compared to even the 8MB Creative soundfont.
>
> You've got to be kidding! The timidity patch set is awesome... at least,
> the full 34MB version I downloaded a few years ago is. The default one
> that came with my Linux distribution did indeed suck...

Thats the one ;) It really sucks.. The 2MB sound font is better. ;) But then
Nothing really compares to the 141MB Fluid soundfont I found.. Though some of
the instruments dont sound quite right when listening to FF7 mids ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx