Re: [AD] More OSX Allegro Notes

> I think the not registering the icon with the dock would be the way to
> go.  Is that a possibility?  It's just weird to see console apps that
> are command-line-only tools with a dock spot.

I fear this is not possible though. Currently there's no way to start a
Cocoa application from the command line, except if you use a particular hack
(see src/macosx/main.m). The origins of this hack are unknown, but on the
net you'll find some discussions on it, and it seems it was Apple itself to
use it first inside its GLUT implementation (dunno where though - I just
read this).
The drawback is without this hack an app using Cocoa will freeze when
started from the console, but the hack also forces the application icon to
appear in the dock. So I see no way to remove the icon without breaking the
thing...

> A side question: if ALLEGRO_USE_CONSOLE is defined, would the program
> still be able to open a window for graphical output?  I know that the
> two sound completely contradictory, but I had to ask all the same.  I'm
> currently attempting to write a set of tools for converting png files
> to my own proprietary sprite set format, and if the '-p' option is
> specified on the tool's command line, I'd like to be able to open a
> window and display the sprites.

Under MacOSX Allegro it is possible. But it's bad programming habit...

> Maybe what's needed is to only register with the dock when the "video
> mode" is set?

No way that I currently know of. I'll investigate, but I doubt it's
possible...

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx