Re: [AD] Relative paths in the grabber

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:47:45PM +0200, AE wrote:
> I just tried changing to a directory two levels deeper with 'cd' using the
> Windows 2000 command prompt. It only works properly if you use back-slashes
> and not if you use forward-slashes. I suspect that your DOS-prompt is
> calling some alternative implementation of 'cd' (eg. DJGPP's 'cd' utility).

Nope, it's just command.com (or whatever its equivalent in W2k is called) being
a b*tch. Most DOS commands will interpret / as an option switch, and officially
\ is the path seperator. However, at the OS level, / is also recognized. Have
you tried cd "../.." to prevent command from interpreting the command?
cd ../.. works fine in 4DOS, btw.
It also works if you specify the path in Windows.

Another fun thing about DOS filenames (but totally unrelated) has to do with
spaces. DOS does allow spaces in filenames, but most DOS-based parsers do not
(brobably because MS said that you can't have spaces in filenames). I had a
program which had (lousy) copy protection by creating a directory with
spaces in its name. DOS (6 - so the "" trick didn't work) couldn't open it
because the parser breaks off at a space and Windows (3.11) gave me an
"invalid filename - a filename may not contain spaces. Please use another
name" message when I tried to open it. So I resorted to gwbasic, where I *had*
to use "" around the filename and there I could cd to that directory.
Ah, those where the days... ;)

Evert