Re: [AD] DJGPP & WinXP combo

> I think we should differentiate NT itself (3.51 and 4.0) from 2k/XP
because
> DJGPP has far less problems with the former than with the latters and they
> are well known and documented in the DJGPP FAQ.

Well, I'd actually say that DJGPP works equally bad on NT and XP. In fact,
one could make the argument that DJGPP on XP is worse because it gives the
illusion that it may work. On my XP machine the only resolution DJGPP can
set is 320x240 or 8-bit color. The mouse and timer rarely work.

That said, the method I was thinking of wouldn't tell the difference between
NT and XP.

I agree in the sense that someone should know that DJGPP and NT/XP are not a
good match. But it seems a lot of people don't - and the existing FAQs
obviously are not helping make the point clear. (Of course, with some
people, no amount of information helps...)

In the least, I think the the DJGPP build doc that comes with Allegro should
be updated:

~~
   plenty of time to become nice and stable.

* Adding something like: However, under Windows NT, 2000, or XP you will
very likely experience problems and should consider using MinGW32.
~~

I'll look into some OS detection stuff, but not sure what I'll come up with.

--
Matthew Leverton - matthew@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.allegro.cc