Re: [AD] Allegro 4.0.3

> Looking good! I'll do a trial run on Solaris later today. Just a quick
> question: don't the IRIX and Solaris detections add OSTYPE_... symbols to
> the Allegro headers?

Yes, they do.

> Won't that break backward compatibility in the sense that code written
> for Allegro 4.0.3+ will not compile on 4.0.2 and below?

Well, I'd rather call that breaking forward compatibility. From Allegro's
point of view, maintaining backward compatibility means ensuring that a
program written for Allegro version 4.0.n will work with Allegro version
4.0.m provided that m>=n. We are commited to that, not more, the idea being
that you could benefit by subsequent bugfixes without changing a single line
of code.

Maintaining forward compatibility would mean strictly zero new features, even
as minor as the detection of new platforms or processor models.

--
Eric Botcazou