Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 11:24, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > I updated the code to Allegro 4.x, and made it a bit more user-friendly.
>
> Good work, it indeed makes the life easier. However I have some remarks:
..

Thanks, with this detailed remarks it was easy to fix.

> > This is still not perfect (I still think it could be automated, given
> > that we know the Allegro-key->unicode mappings, and could derive the
> > X-key->unicode mappings), but at least for a german keyboard it's easy
> > now to create the x-mapping within a minute :)
>
> I don't see how this could be automated, unless you read the internal XFree86
> configuration file for example.

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. It would be possible to look which
X-key produces 'a', and which Allegro key produces 'a' - so *some* keys
could be auto-detected. But it won't work in general, and not at all for
modifier keys.

> > Complete modified file is attached because I changed the
> > indenting/formatting to the Allegro style and so most lines changed.
> > Maybe someone using X-Windows and a non-US keyboard can test it and tell
> > me if something else should be changed? (I assume it is always needed on
> > a non-US keyboard, not just on my system.)
>
> Tested on my French keyboard, appears to works fine.

..
all fixed, .diff file is attached.

If someone thinks it is a good idea, I can try integrating it into the
setup program (filling the empty space right to the "Mouse" button with
"Keyboard" in the linux version). The dialog's are small enough so
everything besides the test dialog, which would have to be simplified,
would fit into it.

But given that there probably aren't that many non-US/GB linux users who
are only using the binary package to play some game (coders would know
about xkeymap) - and linux users generally are assumed to like reading
docs - it's probably enough to stick it into tools/x11 :)

--
Elias Pschernig