Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 20:48, Hein Zelle wrote:
> > If someone thinks it is a good idea, I can try integrating it into the
> > setup program (filling the empty space right to the "Mouse" button with
> > "Keyboard" in the linux version). The dialog's are small enough so
> > everything besides the test dialog, which would have to be simplified,
> > would fit into it.
>
> Even though I don't use "foreign" keyboards very often, I think it
> would be a good idea to put it in the setup program if it can be done

Ok, I'll probably try doing it some time soon (depending on how well
written setup.c is), and how nicely it works out. It can then still be
decided if it should be a separate tool.

> nicely. One question though: how is this "problem" solved in windows?
> Can allegro handle all keys on a foreign keyboard there?

Personally, I'm also not completely sure about this (is/will be there
really no keyboard with more than 128 keys?). Anyway, Eric told me in
windows it's possible to retrieve the scan codes directly (the same ones
the DOS version of Allegro uses) - so only linux/X/BeOS need an
additional lookup to convert the system-specific code back to a scan
code, and then continue with src/misc/pckeys.c.

Probably an xkeymap like tool could be set on the TODO list for
console-linux and BeOS though.

--
Elias Pschernig