Re: [AD] Proposal for "release_checklist.txt"

> While my last patches adding ASSERTions caused much disasters, especially
> to the msvc build,

It's the WIP game: we can't expect to add new features without breaking
things.

> I realized that we have no way of 'validating' the quality of Allegro,
> especially since it's so large, huge, resembling a big lizard...  While it
> would be against the spirit of the WIPs, which should be released often,
> we could create a release_checklist.txt file and use it with the stable
> releases. This file would contain a number of things to verify, like:
>   builds for dos
>   builds for win
>   builds for xxx
>   devhelp documentation works
>   postscript documentation works
>   setup doesn't eat my homework

That would be the release process of a 'stable' release, not of a WIP one.
It is very time-consuming and requires strong coordination between various
developers, which IMHO we simply can't expect for ordinary releases.

> Whenever Allegro 'freezes', it won't be released until all these can be
> verified at least by one person. Ideally each item would have assigned
> a voluntary. Could this be tracked through Sourceforge's task thing?

The [AD] mailing-list is IMHO a better place for this kind of thing (but I
must admit I am a little biased in favor of MLs over Web-based tools). The
4.0.1 and 4.0.2 releases were managed like that.

--
Eric Botcazou