Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

> To me it seems, the mentioned xkeymap program by Michael Bukin
> automatically (or maybe with a setup utility where I have to press each
> key once) can create those server mappings, so we'd just have to include
> the code into Allegro (or the setup program) - and the problem would be
> fixed.

Fine.

> I looked shortly at Allegro's code, and what I'd have to do to get my
> keyboard working right now is, manually create am inverse mapping from
> my keyboard's XK-codes onto the XK-codes of a standard US PC keyboard,
> which is the only type of keyboard Allegro seems to understand.

The latter codes are actually the raw scancodes returned by the PC BIOS. The
DOS, Windows and QNX ports use them natively, whereas the BeOS, Linux and
X11 ports need to translate back their custom codes to them.

> If I understand right, that's what I'd like most - just bypass the
> keyboard mapping and directly return the ASCII/unicode characters to the
> user. But I guess I should read the A5 list on that topic first.. :)

Clearly the long-term solution. But I don't know how much work would be
required to implement it cleanly.

--
Eric Botcazou