Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

>> Sorry, I forgot the terminology.  That's what I meant when I wrote
>> "keysym" above.  You still don't know which physical key caused the
>> keycode.
>
>What do you mean exactly ? You don't know which physical key caused the
>keycode because several keys can return the same keycode or because you
>don't know the internal mapping ?

The latter, if I understand you correctly.

I can't look it up right now, but this is how I remember it.  If the user presses
the button with a "S" drawn on it, the X server will send a keycode to the application,
and from that keycode the application can look up the corresponding keysym (XK_s
or something like that).  But, AFAIK, the app can't find out whether or not
that keycode was caused by the button two positions to the right of the Caps
Lock button.

Sorry about the dumb explanation, but it's hard to talk about this when the
word "key" has so many different meanings...

Hmm, it might be useful to look at what xkeycaps does.