Re: [AD] linux keyboard mapping?

> I can't look it up right now, but this is how I remember it.  If the user
> presses the button with a "S" drawn on it, the X server will send a
> keycode to the application, and from that keycode the application can look
> up the corresponding keysym (XK_s or something like that).  But, AFAIK,
> the app can't find out whether or not that keycode was caused by the
> button two positions to the right of the Caps Lock button.

Yes, the internal mapping is server-dependent. We would have to maintain
sort of a database of server mappings. However, given that the vast majority
of users probably uses XFree86 on PCs, doing so could be worthwhile.

The other solution is to provide hooks in the internal keyboard handling
code of Allegro in order to bypass/customize it.

> Sorry about the dumb explanation, but it's hard to talk about this when
> the word "key" has so many different meanings...

That's very clear.

--
Eric Botcazou