Re: [AD] DDraw7 support (and Allegro 5)

> Just to give you guys a heads-up. I've started working on the Allegro
> 5
> API again, since I now have some extra free time since my intership
> has
> just ended.

Great!! I was wondering about 5.0 just these days... Too bad now I
don't exactly have much free time, having 2 pending exams...

> I'll be implementing a micro-Allegro with the new gfx API as I write
> it,
> and make a DDraw 7 back-end too. This will hopefully give us soething
> poke around with.

Ok. You may be interested in the attached text then; as I said, these
days I was thinking about 5.0, and I was wondering if using strings as
config keys was the Right Thing (tm)... So I've experimented with an
alternative, inspired a little by OpenGL and the previous string based
config system. The attached doc presents it, although it's far from
being an exaustive documentation on the subject. It's still *much* in
the works, but can give you an idea of the whole.
Comments are welcome!

> I'll port over the other Windows drivers once the new API stabilizes.
> Someone else can take care of the other drivers.

No problems once the common infrastructure is done.

In line with the talk, I wanted to push a thing already discussed a
little on the allegro.cc forums: let's get rid of banked VESA support
and old line switchers; we could use rect switchers instead...

--
Angelo Mottola
lillo@xxxxxxxxxx