Re: [AD] DDraw7 support (and Allegro 5)

Eric Botcazou wrote:

Just to give you guys a heads-up. I've started working on the Allegro 5
API again, since I now have some extra free time since my intership has
just ended.

Great! I plan to re-sync the allegro_new module with the 4.x module soon.

There isn't much there that's interesting... Perhaps once the new API becomes stable enough (for some specific module), we can convert Allegro to it.

Why DDraw7 ? What are its new features ? Why not DDraw8 instead ?

There is no DDraw8. It's DDraw2, 4 and 7 (AFAIK). Microsoft dropped DDraw in favor of DGraphics, which IIRC is basically D3D with a sprite engine of some sort.

Maybe I can also open up a new module - Allegro Experimental Code (or
something like that) where we can commit new ideas, or methods or
drivers or whatever without actually touching the library itself.

There are already the allegro_new module and your branch for the Allegro 5

work.

Yes, but those contain an entire copy of Allegro. There is no place to put experimental code, where we don't have to change code all over Allegro everytime we make API changes.