Re: [AD] New font types

> I didn't know that function existed :-) Is it documented anywhere?

In the mind of the add-on author :-)

> > Yes, a mecanism to handle sub-(object type) plugins is missing.
>
> The real problem is that to support a new object type, you need to
> recompile the grabber. This seems unavoidable, unfortunately.

I don't see it as a problem. The plugin/script mecanism is powerful enough
to support new object types (although the script mecanism is broken for
Mingw32 for the time being).

> Great! But there is no change needed to the library; the only thing that
> will be changed is to allow dat2c (and eventually dat2s?) to output any
> sort of object based on a text file description.

I think that's not enough: we shouldn't create a discrepancy between what
dat2c/s supports and what load_datafile() supports. In other words, every
datafile that can be attached to an executable by dat2c/s should be loadable
via load_datafile() too. It is not the case currently for custom fonts.

> I'll start working on it, since the changes won't mess anything up. One
> question, though: where should the text description files go?

I think we should try to go further: we should try to plugin-ize dat2s/c.

> Fair enough. So does mine, by the way; it's just a new type of
> FONT_VTABLE you can use. It uses the normal FONT structure and
> everything.

Fine. I think that's the right use of the Allegro font interface.

--
Eric Botcazou