Re: [AD] Porting allegro

> Do you have libraries supplied to access the IOP though ?
> Or is the sound processing bit moved to the EE ?

I have what's called a Run Time Environment (RTE) that sits under linux. It catches calls and redirects them to the IOP running in a restricted hardware mode. So all Joystick, sound, diskIO, and pretty much anything not dealing with graphics has to go through the RTE. You can Zero out the RTE but the I would loose my I/O hooks in linux. To access the IOP "on the metal" after the RTE is gone would reqire an IOP reboot and I don't know even how to do that (or where it's registers are in memory) as I didn't get the manual for it.

> sed comes to mind. A quick starting point would be to add a
> simple --enable-ps2 switch to configure, and worry about
> autodetection afterwards.

I'll look into this

> Allegro already supports the original PSX controller, I think,
> so that should be not too painful (I've never looked at the
> joystick code as I don't have one, so YYMV). But, again, due
> to the vtable use, special code for the DS2 would be PS2
> specific, so would be shielded from other code/drivers and
> other code/drivers would be shielded from it. You might have
> to add a bit to the exposed API, to increase the number of
> buttons on a device though.

This is cool, I can at least have the origial buttins supported, then add the PS2 extras as an add-on pack, like apak, all it PS2pak

-Joshua