Re: [AD] Non-FM OSS MIDI driver

On 2002-05-27, George Foot <gfoot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason it may work better for this driver to use the raw
> approach is that OSS itself takes raw MIDI events as input
> (which is why it's also inconvenient that Allegro discards the
> channel number).  My main reason for not changing the driver at
> that stage was the FM synthesis -- maybe that works better by
> using Allegro's voice allocation routines.  Peter?

I've blocked that code out of my mind ;-) Actually, I didn't realise
there was a raw MIDI approach, probably because I was looking at the
corresponding DOS drivers at the time.  Don't worry about breaking the
FM synthesis part, nobody can get that to work anyway.

> Another interesting aspect is that OSS seems able to handle the
> timing of notes itself too.  I don't know whether that's usable
> in rewrites of the API, but it could mean less dependence on
> getting accurately timed interrupts.

This is a big problem, I think.  The DIGMID driver sounds wrong also,
sometimes, or maybe that's something else.