Re: [AD] Grabber Patch

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 17:23, rpgrca@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I tried to send it without subscribing, but didn't work. So let's
> try now...

Yeah, last time I checked, the homepage still said that you could post
without subscribing.

> This is a patch to extend Grabber ability to crop tiles from
> several bitmaps with the same name. The patch has been done
> under MS-DOS, so I am not responsible.

Eh? You didn't make the patch yourself, or it was only tested under DOS or
you don't know how the patch was made or...? :-)
I like this idea!

> I was thinking about some more changes:
>
>  1. Don't show unsupported colors (ie: 16 bpp if not compiled
>     with ALLEGRO_COLOR16).

I don't think you should disable any colourdepths when compiling the
grabber. Frankly, I don't even think it will work properly since the
grabber cycles through 32, 16, 15 and 8 bit modes (not 24 bit though. Why?)
Still, having it say it supports 16 bit when it really doesn't might be
silly.

>  2. Possible problem with "%03d" (since now it is possible to
>     grab several bitmaps with the same name, you might be able
>     to have +999 objects).

Actually... I already hit that limit once from a single bitmap, which was
quite annoying. I ended up naming the entries < 999 as TILE_xxx and those
above as TILES_xxxx, just so they would be ordered properly.

> Adding maximun amount of numbers as a new parameter to modify?

Could be useful, but maybe more work than it's worth IMHO.

>  4. Don't allow user to input two equal names, or an option to
>     automagically add the type to the name (_SAMP, _PCX, etc).

I don't really like imposing such a restriction on the user. If s/he wants
to use the same name twice, then it's her/his responsibility.

>  5. Multiple "Set/Edit/Delete Property", (only if the property
>     is not NAME, like setting the MANA to all wizards in the
>     datafile).

Could be useful, I guess.
BTW, last time I tried, updating an entry discarded all of my custom
properties. Is this normal behavior?

>  7. Export datafile plugin (multiple selection as a new one)?

Ehm... sorry, I don't really understand this one. Could you be more
specific?

>  8. Help system as a new plugin?

I think an improved help system could be useful, though I find the grabber
to be fairly straightforward to use.

--
Evert Glebbeek
e-mail: eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx   ICQ: 48210348