Re: [AD] Grabber Patch

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:36:36PM -0300, rpgrca@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I don't think you should disable any colourdepths when compiling the
> > grabber. Frankly, I don't even think it will work properly since the
> > grabber cycles through 32, 16, 15 and 8 bit modes (not 24 bit though. Why?)
> > Still, having it say it supports 16 bit when it really doesn't might be
> > silly.
>
> I compiled Allegro with only 8 bpp support, and while modifying grabby
> it just ran without problems, until I tried to grab tiles from a 16 bpp
> bitmap (crashed, of course). The "OBJECT/Color Depth" menu still showed
> the other modes. I think don't showing them (or graying them out) would
> be interesting.

Personally, I still feel that you shouldn't disable any colourdepths in the
grabber - it really hurts the grabbers functionality. If you want to build
Allegro with less colourdepths for your own projects, then that's fine, but
you should expect other people's applications to break from time to time.
All IMHO, of course.
And, as said, having it die tragically is sortof sloppy.

> > > Adding maximun amount of numbers as a new parameter to modify?
> >
> > Could be useful, but maybe more work than it's worth IMHO.
>
> static char format[12];
> static int maximun_amount = 3;
> ..
> sprintf(format, "%%0%dd", maximun_amount);
>
> That should be enough ;-)

You'll also need to add a field to the dialog struct for holding the number
and check that it actually makes sense. But you're right, it shouldn't be
too hard to implement.

> > > 7. Export datafile plugin (multiple selection as a new one)?
> >
> > Ehm... sorry, I don't really understand this one. Could you be more
> > specific?
>
> Right now, if you select several items and try to export them, grabby
> will pat your head. I suggest supposing the user wants to create a
> new datafile, and export them as a new datafile.

Ok, I see. I think this would be a nice feature indeed.

> > > Could be useful, I guess.
> >
> > It would be REALLY useful to me, at least :)
>
> It should be inside datedit.c, so DAT utility can use it as well. I
> am just wondering about the command line support.

The dat utility would ideally support everything the grabber does, but I
think there are already so many command line switches it just isn't funny
anymore. If this is added though, I'd really like to use wildcards and
patterns to specify entries, which is probably going to be a lot
of work. Still, good initiative.

--
Evert Glebbeek
e-mail: eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx