Re: [AD] Relative paths in the grabber

> > but it's *very* ugly and breaks in higher resolutions. Will there be a
> > datafile-properties popup-menu instead of the boxes in the main window?
> > Any thoughts on this?
>
> Or use a scrolled selection list?  If you make a properties box then
> the Header file, Prefix, ... text fields could be put in there too.

A scrolled selection list similar to the properties box that exists for
each datafile entry now did cross my mind too, but I think I'd prefer a
straight dialog with checkboxes and edit fields.

> > 2) It's currently a hack in the function that handles the grab
> > command. I'd like this to work for update and grab-from-grid as well,
> > but as far as I can see, this requires some heavy modifications to
> > datedit.c. How serious would breaking backward compatibility for
> > datedit be?
>
> I don't think it's hugely bad.  Do you mean the long list of
> parameters that get passed to each save routine?  I think they should
> be collected into a struct.

Yeah, that'd probably help. Alternatively, from a few very brief glances
at the code, it looks to me that some of these parameters are simply
TRUE/FALSE flags. In that case, they could be collapsed into a single int
datafile_save_properties or something similar.

> datedit.c doesn't matter much because the file is statically linked; the
> only important things are the interfaces to the user (grabber et dat
> utility).

True, but I was thinking that maybe people use datedit as a basis for
their own grabber-like tool - I've been thinking about using it to make a
mapeditor. However, since that datedit API isn't documented whoever uses
it is on his/her own anyway ;-)

> > 3) Currently, when the option is active it applies to new entries, but
> > doesn't touch existing ones. Is it desireable to change this? I'm
> > guessing no, but thought I'd ask anyway.
>
> You're probably right, but a popup menu entry "Relativise paths" would
> be nice.

Agreed. It would make it easier to convert existing datafiles.

If the dust has (temporarily) settled around the CVS grabber and datedit,
I'll grab a copy in a day or two and start tweaking.