Re: [AD] 4.0.1 release

> Another thing.  This MIGHT be intentional, but I found it
> very confusing.

As Stepan said, that's indeed intentional.

> When I run "make" on Allegro 4.0.1, it produces a .dll with exactly the
> same name as the .dll made by Allegro 4.0.0.

Because the dlls for 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 are binary compatible, so every program
compiled against the 4.0.0 headers/import lib can be used with the 4.0.1
dll. This makes it very easy for programs to upgrade to 4.0.1: they don't
need to be recompiled.

Incidentally the converse is also true for 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 but not
purposely.

> When I was running the tests earlier, they were compiled using the .h's
> and .lib's from 4.0.1, but run-time linked with the .dll from Allegro
> 4.0.0. The programs claimed to be Allegro 4.0.1 programs.

Yes, that's probably the most confusing point. They are actually 4.0.1
programs (the core program code is 4.0.1), but load the 4.0.0 dll. Perhaps
should we make that clear in the test program.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx