Re: R: R: R: [AD] Allegro 5 new config routines, alpha 1

On February 8, 2002 09:43 pm, Matthew Smith wrote:
> > > How would this work in a multi-windowed environment?
> >
> > I still wonder how usefull it is to have 2 windows... when if you are
> > doing multimonitor the OS (if its a good OS) will merge the 2 monitors
> > for you,
>
> Ah, but many of us run Windows. The multiscreen here is highly dependent on
> the drivers etc.

Exactly. see my previous point. But let me restate my comment...
I see no point in having 2 windowed GFX_MODE screens open at once.

> Merging 2 screens into a desktop means that neither can be used in
> full-screen mode without the other one blanking.  Maybe this is the fault
> of the OS or drivers, but it is stilll a nuisance.

It might work if both cards can handle the same gfx mode/refresh, or you are
using a dual gfx card.. And it would help if you have two bassicaly identical
monitors.

> Ideally I would have one screen used by Windows, and another which runs
> Allegro graphics.  This would mean, in effect, that each screen requires
> it's own GFX_MODE.  In this example the Windows screen would be DIRECTX and
> the second one would be MODEX or VESA or VBEAF

Yes. 2 full screen GFX_MODEs or even one fullscreen and one windowed GFX_MODE
would/could be usefull.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx