Re: [AD] [linux] ALSA detection can hang

On February 11, 2002 05:22 pm, you wrote:
> >I belive you can open the device as non blocking, but If the app that
> > already has it open hasn't been fixed... I know KDE's snd engine opens in
> > non blocking mode. Same thing happens with the OSS drivers. If you can
> > figure out what program has it open you should tell the makers of it to
> > fix it.
>
> AFAIK two programs can never use the same pcm device at the same time,
> so I would not understand how this non-blocking opening should work,
> except in the case ALSA implements a mixer which mixes the different
> incoming sound streams, which not the case AFAIK.

I just played with 'setup' and it will play it's GONG while XMMS is also
playing an mp3. (both through ALSA 0.9.*s OSS emulation)

> From what I know, non-blocking opening means that the *calling* program
> won't block until the opening has succeeded, and this doesn't affect other
> programs.
>
> maybe we should use non-blocking opening in the autodetect code?

When I wrote the alsa rawmidi driver I used the OPEN_OUTPUT_APPEND
mode. It seems to work fine. I remember testing multiple apps opening the
alsa rawmidi device but I can't remember the results, and as I have alsa 0.9.*
installed I can't really test it at the moment, at least untill I'm sure the
rawmidi api has stabalized.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx