Re: [AD] [linux] ALSA detection can hang

On February 11, 2002 03:02 pm, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed the digital-sound autodetection code for ALSA hangs when
> the pcm device is busy, for example when another program is using it.
> I could trace it back to
> src/unix/alsa.c:173 :
>
> if (snd_pcm_open(&handle, card, device, SND_PCM_OPEN_PLAYBACK) == 0)
>
> Because I don't have the alsa documentation installed, I don't know
> if there is a fix, but it looks like an ALSA flaw to me.
> Maybe somebody who actually knows something about ALSA could bug the
> alsa people about it, and maybe ALSA autodetection should be disabled.
>
> It hangs so hard I have to reboot the machine for a hanging
> fbcon program , which is a mayor nuisance (no ext3 yet, so lengthy
> fsck's ;-( ). Maybe we could disable the ALSA autodetection
> when the system driver is SYSTEM_LINUX (i.e. not SYSTEM_XWINDOWS)?

I belive you can open the device as non blocking, but If the app that already
has it open hasn't been fixed... I know KDE's snd engine opens in non
blocking mode. Same thing happens with the OSS drivers. If you can figure out
what program has it open you should tell the makers of it to fix it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx