Re: [AD] [linux] ALSA detection can hang

>> AFAIK two programs can never use the same pcm device at the same time,
>> so I would not understand how this non-blocking opening should work,
>> except in the case ALSA implements a mixer which mixes the different
>> incoming sound streams, which not the case AFAIK.
>
>I just played with 'setup' and it will play it's GONG while XMMS is also
>playing an mp3. (both through ALSA 0.9.*s OSS emulation)
I did some more testing, and no matter which program I try, allegro's
autodetection hangs until I shut off the other program.
Maybe it's soundcard dependant?

test results

-> start xmms
-> start setup
   setup hangs (black screen), why does setup do an autodetection at startup, even before
   you have pressed the autodetect button?
-> kill xmms
   setup continues

---
->start setup
  ok
->start xmms
-> press setup autodetect button
  autodetection hangs until I kill xmms

---
->start setup
  ok
->start xmms
-> manually select oss device
  ok
-> test
   hangs until I kill xmms

looks a bit problematic to me, I'll investigate more ASAP (it's quite late
now and I really need to go to bed ;-)

--

Martijn Versteegh