Re: [AD] Leveraging the OS' window management

> I think it was more or less the title of a very long winded
> thread that hit AD some time ago :)

I wasn't there at that time, so I may have missed important things.

> Basically, the idea was to be able to draw into non Allegro
> windows (eg I use GTK to create a window, but can use it as
> a BITMAP). This would allow nifty stuff by using Allegro for
> what it's good at, and eg GTK for what it's good at. More,
> it would allow Allegro to handle several windows at once,
> instead of the mere ::screen it now has.

Allegro 4.0 can already do that, although in a platform-specific way: there
are the GDI functions and the attachement functions for the Windows port
(for example, I was able to attach the sound module to a GTK+ app under
Windows), Peter already demonstrated an Allegro-to-GTK+ bridge under Linux.
Maybe that's the way to go: each port could provide a set of translation
functions between the Allegro BITMAP engine and the OS.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx