RE: [AD] Leveraging the OS' window management

Title: RE: [AD] Leveraging the OS' window management

> > I think it was more or less the title of a very long winded
> > thread that hit AD some time ago :)
>
> I wasn't there at that time, so I may have missed important
> things.

It's a pity AD isn't archived ...

> Allegro 4.0 can already do that, although in a
> platform-specific way: there
> are the GDI functions and the attachement functions for the
> Windows port
> (for example, I was able to attach the sound module to a GTK+
> app under
> Windows), Peter already demonstrated an Allegro-to-GTK+
> bridge under Linux.
> Maybe that's the way to go: each port could provide a set of
> translation
> functions between the Allegro BITMAP engine and the OS.

I don't recall everything, but what I wanted at the time was
to be able to create, place, and draw into windows in a
platform independant way. On top of that, Shawn thought this
could be a byproduct of allowing Allegro to draw into native
windows, which would be quite nice.
IIRC, the main contention was: what will happen with DOS :)
(eg, it has no WM, so do we implement a basic WM for it ?)
I guess it could just return NULL when al_create_window is
called, though Burton Radons had created a nice little thing
IIRC. There were other people (Martijn Versteegh I think)
with likewise code.

If someone still has the thread archived, it would be so nice
to have it posted on a website somewhere, and supply an URL
to it, though I suppose it's lost forever now.

--
Vincent Penquerc'h