Re: [AD] Roadmap proposal for the 4.x series

> Do you think it's wise to open 4.1 before 4.0.1 is released?

I have an idea that you don't like branchs very much, do you ?

IMHO they are useful because they can avoid a too long freeze period in the
development after a stable release; as of February, 10th, the period will
have lasted 2 months and I think that's enough to go over the rough edges of
the 4.0.0 release. Moreover, real development can shed light on problems
that wouldn't have been spotted by pure bugfixing (for instance,
implementing video bitmaps and hardware-acceleration for QNX made me realize
that the Windows video bitmap management code was somewhat flawed).

> I assume the 4.1 series will later become 4.2, at which time 4.0
> would be killed off? (i.e. no more releases from that branch)

Yes, once 4.0.x is branched off, it will be effectively in "deep freeze"
until the release of 4.0.1 and eventually doomed to death, unless 4.0.1
contains a critical bug.

> > I think we have to decide if the 4.0.1 will be a bugfixing-only
> > release or not.
>
> I think bugfixing-only.

I agree.

--