Re: [AD] Important WIP 4.0 FeedBack Report From User .....from Victor L. Miller

> I am providing my findings here for general information and awareness to
> the Allegro developer community .........

Thanks for this feedback.

> Now, I did have one (1) problem with a particular Gateway Laptop Computer
> Model Solo 9550XL which is a high end new and huge laptop  ......

It seems that the problems related to the graphics subsystem occur often on
laptops.

> Now I think the problem is  with the video board which on the problem
> machineis : 32MegaByte 4x AGP  nVidia GeForce2 GO      .........

We have already had reports of weird problems occuring on GeForce2-based
cards. Sometimes upgrading the drivers makes them vanish.

> The behavior is that it does create a window with the program title in the
> title bar in other words the program launches and creates a window ......
> but then it halts ....the farthest I was able to get is to bring up the
>   gfx_mode_select_ex( )     screen  but it freezes right there

Maybe related to the new graphics mode fetching code, although I do think it
is correct.

Try the following test: in src/win/wddfull.c, replace every reference to
'gfx_directx_fetch_mode_list' (lines 56, 94 and 127) by 'NULL'. Does the
problem then vanish ?

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx