[AD] fbcon backgrounding

Running exswitch, if I select SWITCH_BACKAMNESIA then switch to
another VT, graphics that are drawn will be visible on screen.  For
example, I can see the "Time:" string still incrementing and the
fractal being drawn while I'm typing this (which is cool, but not the
intended effect, I think ;-)

It doesn't happen with any other switching mode, but I'm assuming this
only doesn't happen in SWITCH_AMNESIA because the program is paused.
Is this a bug in the fbcon driver, or is something weird happening
with vesafb on my system?  Can anybody reproduce this?