Re: [AD] Font loadin: Feature Request

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:15:45PM +0100, Lennart Steinke wrote:
> I think the best (== most easy way for the allegro user) would be if I
> could simply load a bmp / pcx file or a bitmap font file and use this as
> font file.
>
> Comments?

Your proposition is not only unneeded (you could use load_datafile_object
apart from the other suggestions), but creates a trend towards having
multiple files on disk, which is bad and slow, datafiles exist in fact
to counter this problem.

I am with Shawn as for load times, and as a particular example, some days
ago a friend lent me his copy of Blade.  Apart from being ridiculously
easy to rip stuff from the game (even python code), the game took 20
minutes to UNINSTALL, when a single datafile would be erased in less than
a second. Blizzard's games (Starcraft, Diablo) exploit really nicely the
"all in a single file" strategy and it's way more efficient.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org/