Re: [AD] Proposal to add a tutorial in doc folder

At 18:29 22-11-01 -0500, Clayton Weaver wrote:
>My proposal is that some one that knows how to make the screensavers with
>Allegro make a tutorial that can be included in the doc directory to teach
>others to make screensavers for fun or to make for their games so people can
>put them on their computer.

Speaking for me personally, I feel screensavers are a very platform
specific thing, thus IMHO the Allegro docs aren't the proper place for such
a tutorial. I also feel that the download is large enough is it is: we
don't need to inflate it further with things that are better explained
elsewhere.

However, I do think some documentation for the examples/test programs would
be nice, but maybe not as part of the main distribution.

Speaking of this, I have a proposal: why not split the download into
several files: the Allegro source code, the documentation (*not* the
platform specific readme's, but the docs/ directory) and the example
programs/add-on utilities? That way, the download size is decreased for
people who don't need or want the examples.

This is probably too late to implement for Allegro 4.0, as it would
probably require a huge rewrite of the makefiles. I'm also doubtful that it
would decrease the download size significantly, since the bulk of the
download size comes from the src/ directory.

Still, I'd like to raise this point.
--
Evert Glebbeek, Physics student
Faculty of science, University of Amsterdam